Sausage, Kale & Sweet Potato Soup
Hearty & Comforting
All the flavors of fall and winter rolled into one delicious soup. Fennel provides a light, sweet flavoring to this hearty sausage and kale filled soup.
- PREP TIME: 15 MIN
- COOK TIME: 3 HR
- TOTAL TIME: 3 HR 15 MIN
- SERVES: 8
- In a 6-7 qt slow cooker, add the sweet potatoes. Break the turkey sausage into small pieces and add to the slow cooker. Add the onion, garlic, chickpeas and kale.
- Meanwhile, fill the kettle to the 1 L marking with water, put the kettle on the stand and brew.
- In a large pitcher, add the tea bags and pour the hot water over the top. Steep for 5-10 minutes (or according to tea instructions). Remove the tea bags.
- Pour the tea in the slow cooker and add the salt, pepper, fennel seeds and basil. Stir to combine all ingredients.
- Lay the bay leaves on top and place the lid on the slow cooker. Cook on HIGH for 3 hours until sweet potatoes are soft and sausage is cooked through.
- Add the heavy cream and stir to incorporate. Cook for an additional 10 minutes on HIGH to warm the cream.
- Serve with a side of toasted bread for dipping.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled & diced
- 3 Italian turkey sausages, casings removed
- ½ large onion, diced
- 3 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 6 cups loosely packed kale
- 4 fennel tea bags
- 1 ¼ cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 2 tsp. fennel seeds
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 2-3 bay leaves
- ½ cup heavy cream